Re: Thoughts on inhibiting app suspend via application lifecycle

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM, Rasmus Eneman <Rasmus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>I do disagree with requiring the user to interact with the system to
>>ensure longer battery life. We should try as hard as possible to make
>>this automagically work.
>
>>For a tech-savvyy audience: Yes. For everyday users I do disagree. In
>>the end, users do blame the platform for bad battery life (for a good
>>reason) and we certainly don't want to have battery life preserving
>>apps in our app store (Google Play has got quite a few of them).
> While automagically is great when it works, it's a real hassle when it
> don't.
> I agree that users will be put of if there is a lot of battery drain,
> however
> users will also be put of if they can't use their phone as they would expect
> (Android have become huge and more and more users learn that they can
> do things in the background on their phone too).
>
> A golden path have to be found between features and battery. Personally
> I think Android does pretty good here but I get a feeling that you don't?

I think that there is room for improvement on top of the android model
(which I quite like).
The essence here is: If applications are split up in components
(whether you call them activities and services, or front- and
background services does not matter), it is way easier to come up with
a policy that both ensures good battery life _and_ allows for apps (or
components of them) to run in the background.

>>my point of view is still that forcing every little small app to bring its
>> own
>>daemon will:
>>
>>a) scare off people for writing apps for our platform as the communication
>>overhead between a service and the UI is a huge effort and easy to mess up.
> Android have AIDL (http://developer.android.com/guide/components/aidl.html)
> to help developers with this, I have used it and have to say that it's very
> simple
> to use. Hopefully something like this could come to Ubuntu too (it would
> make
> sense on the desktop as well).

AIDL is *another* middleware that helps in implementing an
out-of-process component model. That being said, we will need
something comparable. And before people start asking: I think we need
to help developers with a layer on top of "raw" dbus to make this as
convenient and easy as possible. We can probably hijack existing
object hierarchies, but might as well come up with something that is
less coupled to a specific object model.

One thing that has been spinning in my mind for some time is something like:

class MyBackgroundService : public ubuntu::Component
{
     public:
          // From ubuntu::Component
          void on_new_message(const Message& message) override;
          const std::string& name() const override { return
"MyCoolBackgroundService"; }
          bool store_state_for_migration(const Archive& archive) override;
};

ANNOUNCE_COMPONENT_WITH_NAME(MyBackgroundService, "MyCoolBackgroundService");

auto my_ex_process_service =
ubuntu::component_cast<MyBackgroundService>(ubuntu::Component::instantiate_out_of_process(MyBackgroundService));

if (auto)
{
     // We have the service running in a separate process now.
     // Invoke a function of the component
     auto result =
ubuntu::Component::invoke<MyBackgroundService::Sum>(my_ex_process_service).with(42).and(42);

     if (!result.is_error())
     {
           // Prints 84.
           std::cout << *result() << std::endl;
     }
}

Obviously, draft code so take it with a grain of salt. But we could
come up with something like this pretty rapidly.

>>b) be suicide in terms of battery usage. This will cause exactly the
>> opposite
>>than what it should. If everyone brings its own daemon we'll have tons of
>>services running all the time and the user can't even stop them because
>> there
>>is no UI to stop them.
> Again: Android.
> Android kills a service if the resources are needed, if the developer wants
> create an app which have a responsible chance to stay alive even if the user
> does something else he have to create an ongoing notification. This makes
> to user aware that the app is running.

We can fine-tune resource constraints via cgroups and ensure that a
background service does not trash the system.
Unity8's application manager would be a great place to add this
functionality as it already takes care of suspend/resume and adjusting
oom_score's.

HTH,

  Thomas