Launching applications within GDB

Hi all,

 I'm currently in the process of attempting to create a port of MeeSpot
(a MeeGo spotify client) for Ubuntu Touch, however while it runs fine on
my desktop it's crashing at launch when executed on the phone. It'd be
very helpful if I could run the application within gdb to see what's
going on, however attempting to launch any application from a terminal
on the phone (rather than going through the graphical launcher) results
in the error: "QUbuntu: Could not create application instance".

 What's the correct way to launch an Ubuntu Touch application within
GDB?

Thanks,
 Mike.

Follow ups