Re: bad news: I bricked my nexus 4 after making image writeable and updating saucy stable on it

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM, David Marceau
<uticdmarceau2007@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What should I not update in order to prevent this from happening again?
>  I would have liked to update the system and install a few other things.
> i.e. emacs-nox, poppler, document viewer...
> How does everyone else update their phone stuff?

Well, I often have to enable writable image in order to manually test
system updates before approving them to be released into the archive.
When I want to update the system after that, I do this:

phablet-flash ubuntu-system --channel trusty-proposed

And then mark the image writable again afterwards. But I would never
upgrade the system using apt. I just cherry pick certain components to
install newer versions of.