Re: A new Image release Proposal

On 29/11/13 14:43, Alexander Sack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo
> <ricardo.salveti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I don't see how it makes any difference if that latest image was built
>>> by cron or a human ... or do we have a special "human touch" in manually
>>> built images that I don't know about ?
>>> :)
>>>
>>> for the last two weeks I mostly behaved like cron wrt building images
>>> (exactly in preparation for this request since so many people asked me
>>> why we don't do cronned images, I'm pretty sad nobody of them speaks up
>>> in this discussion) it doesn't seem to have interfered with anything.
>>
>> Exactly, not having it in cron here didn't help us much.
>>
>> I just don't get why we're fighting against automation, if we can all
>> decide to build in a fixed schedule and work to improve our CI to get
>> the best usage of that we can.
>
> it's not about automation or not and as I said before, I am surely not
> fighting automation. I am simply against going back from a
> potentially-smart, trigger based approach for one of our CI steps
> (image production) to a cronjob based approach that is completely
> arbitrary/decoupled from the rest of our engineering/landing process.
>

>> And the archive is always open, besides the landing team syncing the
>> landings first in a ppa and then in proposed, so we should always have
>> an automated job that creates such snapshots.
>
> The fact that the archive uploads are in a separate process makes
> things hairy, yes. However, that doesn't means that we should add
> another decoupled process (cronjob based image production) and hope
> that things will be better....
>

>> We should all work against the schedule, not against the will of the
>> landing team to trigger a new image (as that's not really a CI), and
>> please, we're engineers :-)
>
> Note that the current proposal is to have a schedule. Not a point
> schedule through a cronjob, but a smart, time window schedule.
>
> How is such approach still an issue for you?
>

>> Ricardo Salveti de Araujo

Alexander my issue is simple.
If you have images are only released when the landing team is good and
ready how does anyone know when that is?

If you have 3 releases a day 8 hours apart, the devs know when they need
to finish for a landing, the landing team will know when to have stuff
landed by and users will know when they can upgrade based on the results
of the automated testing.

If we then do 2 stable releases a week we can get the broader community
on board for testing the things that need time to brew like does your
phone work after 10 hours or not.

With 15 images a week (work days only, please god switch it off if there
is no one around to fix things if it all goes pear shaped) and 2 stable
it should be really easy to track when things broke.

--
You make it, I'll break it!

I love my job :)
http://www.ubuntu.com