Re: A new Image release Proposal

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo
<ricardo.salveti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> The reason for that is in a CI world we feed that image back so new
>>> merge proposals get tested on top of the most recent known good state.
>>> And this need to happen frequently, so folks don't test on outdated
>>> stuff etc.
>> I don't see how it makes any difference if that latest image was built
>> by cron or a human ... or do we have a special "human touch" in manually
>> built images that I don't know about ?
>> :)
>>
>> for the last two weeks I mostly behaved like cron wrt building images
>> (exactly in preparation for this request since so many people asked me
>> why we don't do cronned images, I'm pretty sad nobody of them speaks up
>> in this discussion) it doesn't seem to have interfered with anything.
>
> Exactly, not having it in cron here didn't help us much.
>
> I just don't get why we're fighting against automation, if we can all
> decide to build in a fixed schedule and work to improve our CI to get
> the best usage of that we can.

it's not about automation or not and as I said before, I am surely not
fighting automation. I am simply against going back from a
potentially-smart, trigger based approach for one of our CI steps
(image production) to a cronjob based approach that is completely
arbitrary/decoupled from the rest of our engineering/landing process.

> And the archive is always open, besides the landing team syncing the
> landings first in a ppa and then in proposed, so we should always have
> an automated job that creates such snapshots.

The fact that the archive uploads are in a separate process makes
things hairy, yes. However, that doesn't means that we should add
another decoupled process (cronjob based image production) and hope
that things will be better....

> We should all work against the schedule, not against the will of the
> landing team to trigger a new image (as that's not really a CI), and
> please, we're engineers :-)

Note that the current proposal is to have a schedule. Not a point
schedule through a cronjob, but a smart, time window schedule.

How is such approach still an issue for you?