Re: A new Image release Proposal

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 03:43:25PM +0100, Alexander Sack wrote:
> it's not about automation or not and as I said before, I am surely not
> fighting automation. I am simply against going back from a
> potentially-smart, trigger based approach for one of our CI steps
> (image production) to a cronjob based approach that is completely
> arbitrary/decoupled from the rest of our engineering/landing process.

> > And the archive is always open, besides the landing team syncing the
> > landings first in a ppa and then in proposed, so we should always have
> > an automated job that creates such snapshots.

> The fact that the archive uploads are in a separate process makes
> things hairy, yes. However, that doesn't means that we should add
> another decoupled process (cronjob based image production) and hope
> that things will be better....

> > We should all work against the schedule, not against the will of the
> > landing team to trigger a new image (as that's not really a CI), and
> > please, we're engineers :-)

> Note that the current proposal is to have a schedule. Not a point
> schedule through a cronjob, but a smart, time window schedule.

> How is such approach still an issue for you?

My concern with something described as a "smart, time window schedule" is
that it does not sound to me like a schedule that developers can rely on.
Being trigger-based is nice in theory, but if we routinely wind up
struggling for 3-4 hours to land particular components, and as a result miss
the window for the build and wind up running up against build+1, then such a
"smart" trigger isn't actually helping us, as compared to having a regular
build every 8 hours of whatever's most current in the archive.

Even if we have reason to believe a particular image won't be promotable,
having these images regularly produced - and at greater frequency - is still
useful for tracking down regressions.

Maybe these issues are already taken into account and will be part of the
announcement on Monday?

slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx