Re: Features after installing uburntu mobile os to nexus 4

On 11/30/2013 03:20 PM, Nathan Haines wrote:
On 11/30/2013 06:24 AM, David Marceau wrote:
>> Can I compile C / C++ or Python applications on Ubuntu desktop and
>> running them on both Ubuntu desktop and mobile on Nexus 4?
>
> You can compile apps for your phone through ubuntu-sdk. RTFM.

This is just a friendly reminder that not only is "RTFM" never an appropriate response to a newcomer, but it is exactly the kind of hostile, offensive remark that the Ubuntu project and community were built to counteract nine and a half years ago.

A more constructive thing to have done would have been to point him to some documentation, such as the SDK QML docs:

http://developer.ubuntu.com/apps/qml/

Regards,
Nathan

I agree, beside the SDK is still in development and some aspects can be very hard to find (as it is still incomplete, and in development), so giving specific links would be the most appropriate response. And AFAIK Python is not supported, but please correct me if I am wrong, as this may have changed recently. The documentation for C/C++ apps is something I have yet to discover myself. Most of the API is QML/JavaScript. The C/C++ part is simply some askubuntu questions, though again this may have changed recently.

The correct answer is Yes, you can compile C/C++ apps to run on both the desktop and phone. You may want different UI for the desktop, though. However, there is work underway to make phone/tablet apps integrate well into the desktop experience.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/314369/ubuntu-app-development-for-desktop

If you are running Ubuntu 13.10 simply install the Ubuntu SDK.

--
Regards