Re: OSK regression [was: Re: Ubuntu touch images - 11.12.13]

On 12.12.2013 13:30, Martin Pitt wrote:
Michał Sawicz [2013-12-12 12:37 +0100]:
Actually I don't think that's true. It became difficult to swipe the
keyboard down indeed, when we moved to Mir, for input routing
reasons.

This didn't start with moving to Mir, but only with the recent image
(57). It has certainly worked to swipe down from above the OSK (like,
starting to the left of the "Send" button) to the bottom screen edge.

Not under Mir, I'm afraid. With Mir we can't have areas of the screen that both the OSK and the app respond to input. This was causing https://bugs.launchpad.net/webbrowser-app/+bug/1237472, because the browser's text area was partly covered by the input-opaque, visually-transparent area of the OSK.

You can still swipe it down when starting your swipe between the top
edge of the OSK and the top row of keys.

There's ideas to improve that (i.e. you should be able to swipe down
*anywhere* on the keyboard to swipe it down, really), I believe
Jouni filed a bug, can't find it now, though...

Indeed, and that's how it worked until recently.

It never worked like this - there was an area *on top* of the keyboard (y coordinate) that was responsive to the downward swipe - was basically a bigger target than we have now. And that changed soon after we switched to Mir.

--8<--

To a large extent this is also a design problem in messaging-app. It's
next to impossible to find out how to close the OSK after sending a
message in order to go back to the message list. Neither Tiago nor I
managed to accidentally stumble over hitting this small area even
after lots of trying. Perhaps after hitting "Send" it should
automatically close the OSK if it is meant to be so utterly hard to
close by hand?

That's going to improve soon - the "back" button is moving to the header, so it should be accessible regardless of the OSK being on screen or not. The conflict between the OSK and the toolbar is still an open design issue indeed.

Funnily I just now discovererd that you can also close the OSK with a
double-tap above it (in the empty area left of the Send button).

That's most probably a bug, rather than feature - if it's meant to unfocus onTapOutside, just one should be enough.

Does anyone know some actual specification for the intended behaviour,
so that we can encode that in the test?

'fraid not:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-ux/+bug/1234982
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-ux/+bug/1259596