Re: OSK regression [was: Re: Ubuntu touch images - 11.12.13]

On 12/12/2013 08:25 AM, Michał Sawicz wrote:
> On 12.12.2013 13:30, Martin Pitt wrote:
>> Michał Sawicz [2013-12-12 12:37 +0100]:
>>> Actually I don't think that's true. It became difficult to swipe the
>>> keyboard down indeed, when we moved to Mir, for input routing
>>> reasons.
>>
>> This didn't start with moving to Mir, but only with the recent image
>> (57). It has certainly worked to swipe down from above the OSK (like,
>> starting to the left of the "Send" button) to the bottom screen edge.
>
> Not under Mir, I'm afraid. With Mir we can't have areas of the screen
> that both the OSK and the app respond to input. This was causing
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/webbrowser-app/+bug/1237472, because the
> browser's text area was partly covered by the input-opaque,
> visually-transparent area of the OSK.
That's correct.

>>> You can still swipe it down when starting your swipe between the top
>>> edge of the OSK and the top row of keys.
>>
>>> There's ideas to improve that (i.e. you should be able to swipe down
>>> *anywhere* on the keyboard to swipe it down, really), I believe
>>> Jouni filed a bug, can't find it now, though...
>>
>> Indeed, and that's how it worked until recently.
>
> It never worked like this - there was an area *on top* of the keyboard
> (y coordinate) that was responsive to the downward swipe - was
> basically a bigger target than we have now. And that changed soon
> after we switched to Mir.
Yup, the swipe area used to be a lot bigger and you could start the
swipe above the keyboard but as Saviq points out that's not longer
possible with Mir. We've tried to make the swipe area as big as possible
but don't want to increase the top margin above the first row of keys
too much. Currently (tested and working in build 62) you can swipe down
starting from the top border of the keyboard.

Another idea that was tried in the past was to make the entire keyboard
area swipeable, but this caused a lot of jittering when typing as it was
being interpreted as swipe down rather than typing.

> --8<--
>
>> To a large extent this is also a design problem in messaging-app. It's
>> next to impossible to find out how to close the OSK after sending a
>> message in order to go back to the message list. Neither Tiago nor I
>> managed to accidentally stumble over hitting this small area even
>> after lots of trying. Perhaps after hitting "Send" it should
>> automatically close the OSK if it is meant to be so utterly hard to
>> close by hand?
We don't want pressing the send button automatically closing the osk, as
it's very typical to send multiple messages at a time and having to
refocus the text field to make the keyboard appear would be quite annoying.

> That's going to improve soon - the "back" button is moving to the
> header, so it should be accessible regardless of the OSK being on
> screen or not. The conflict between the OSK and the toolbar is still
> an open design issue indeed.
That will certainly help.

>> Funnily I just now discovererd that you can also close the OSK with a
>> double-tap above it (in the empty area left of the Send button).
>
> That's most probably a bug, rather than feature - if it's meant to
> unfocus onTapOutside, just one should be enough.
Single tap does in fact dismiss the keyboard.

>> Does anyone know some actual specification for the intended behaviour,
>> so that we can encode that in the test?
The spec calls for the keyboard to remain visible after sending a text
and to be dismissed by swiping it down or tapping outside of it, which
is the way it's currently working.