Re: Qt 5.2 info, fixes and rebuilds needed

On 8 January 2014 12:25, Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> On 19.12.2013 10:02, Timo Jyrinki wrote:
>>
>> == Qt 5.2.0 final and library transition, rebuilds needed ==
>>
>> Qt 5.2 is now at ppa:canonical-qt5-edgers/qt5-beta2 [1] - updates to
>> Qt will come, but for example most synchronizations of packaging with
>> Debian have been done already.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://launchpad.net/~canonical-qt5-edgers/+archive/qt5-beta2/+packages
>>
>> It is important to note that Qt 5.2 has ABI breakage [2] so all Qt
>> depending packages need a rebuilt. It is partially forced by the
>> library rename "libqt5core5" to "libqt5core5a", which conflict. When
>> upgrading to this PPA, you will need to remove any packages that have
>> not successfully rebuilt there, which is as of this moment most of
>> them because I only just copied the final Qt packages over, and
>> because any problem at the top of the dependency chain prevents others
>> from getting built.
>>
>> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=731261
>

> This will affect apps in the software store too. What are we going to do
> about this?

Only compiled extensions / compiled .so are affected, not pure Qml
apps as far as I know. And there is ongoing discussions on how to
provide the backwards compatible stack in parallel to 5.2 stack. It
started off in vUDS sessions and continued on the hallway tracks and
post vUDS. I'm not quite sure who is in charge  / implementing that
work. Maybe Loic can comment more?

We do need to land 5.2 soon, as we are fast approaching feature freeze
and 14.04 release....

--
Regards,

Dimitri.