WebApps Team status update - January 17

Hi all,

This is a quick status update for the WebApps Team. Development has been going well, and we're now testing and preparing to release our various components in Trusty.

HTML5 SDK

* Reviewed HTML5 project template

* We have 3 native APIs exposed in Javascript

* Online Accounts, Alarm and the Content Hub are the first APIs soon to be available for testing

* the prototyping work clarified the need to have a manual override to expose only the important parts of the bindings; this will help guarantee some API stability, even if the low-level bindings still evolve

* Work on the upcoming Cordova 3.4 release for next week; this is to land his recent support for cross-compiling cordova apps with click chroot

* Continued testing and documenting a sample HTML5 application in preparation for the App Showdown next month

Webapps Stack

* Stack update available for testing in the ppa:ubuntu-unity

* This contains all of the changes to drop old features and keep the browser extensions logic down to a minimum

* The webapp container is now available as a separate executable from webbrowser-app

* Some preliminary testing with Oxide and the webapp-container on the Desktop; sites support was encouraging, but we're missing Flash & HTML5 support with the current build

* The webapp container can also now use Online Accounts to authenticate (branch being reviewed)

Click webapps

* New test webapps for the next conference; being tested internally

* Prepare to update webapps-core in conjonction with the rest of the webapps stack

--
David Barth
Engineering Manager, Product Strategy