Re: Landing team 13.03.14

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 9:33 PM, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo <
ricardo.salveti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Didier Roche <didrocks@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On another topic, there are still some discussion happening about
> remaining
> > blocking issues on the 5.2 transitions (2 crashers remaining in
> particular,
> > maybe one due to your application lifecycle management: memory leak
> trashing
> > the device at some point), but we should be almost almost there. However,
> > tomorrow will still be needed to get things ready.
>
> The crash in the clock-app was actually caused by an update on
> u1db-qt. That regression could also possibly affect quite many other
> apps, so we decided to revert the change, which is was also published
> already.
> Cheers,

\o/

I pinged many people to understand this bug, from CI, core devs, QA and the
community. Everybody was really helpful in getting it triaged; things like
this show the amazing group of people we are working with. And now there's
even a new regression test added, I couldn't have asked for more. Thanks!

And I take this opportunity to insist on where we (as in the QA team) would
like our release process to be in a couple of months from now.

When the autopilot tests are properly written, as in the case of the clock
app, and they start failing, it means that our test-driven development
process failed and we have found a regression caused by a coverage hole in
our low level tests. In this case, the hole is in u1db-qt. A regression
test should be added, the bug fixed, and start all over again. As the devs
start increasing the coverage for all the levels of tests, we should see
this kind of problems less often.

So, quality doesn't mean that we never fail. It means that we fail as early
as possible, and we use each failure to improve the process and make the
next iteration a little better. The level of compromise I'm seeing from
everybody makes me really happy.

pura vida.