Re: .click release procedures blocking in-archive development, for 4 weeks and counting. (python2 removal)

On 03/20/2014 01:43 PM, Sergio Schvezov wrote:

I have no issue with sharing but traceability is really lost if it's
too many people with the same account.
The issue here isn't people to upload things, it's people to debug issues, fix them and test them. Uploads happen as soon as fixes are landed, and in general we've not had any delays if the fix is really ready and passes store review. That said, we need someone who can be a counterpart in US TZ's to do the store review for when we have a late upload, so we don't have to depend on popey or waiting for Europe to awake again.

On the debug/fix side, we've been uncovering low levels issues in our stack with these AP test failures. It's indicative of gaps in our testing. For the system apps, trunk = image, but for the community core apps this is not the case. For community core apps, the store = image. I know this has caused both confusion and frustration as well as hidden regressions in the past. For example, both calendar and file manager are currently experiencing regressions in trunk caused by underlying things changing. Clock just had it's share of 2 of these regressions as well last week.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-ui-toolkit/+bug/1295242
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-calendar-app/+bug/1294181

This causes the fun situation where the image is broken and trunk is broken. You can't release trunk without fixing the regression. And you can't fix the image without releasing from trunk. You are forced to move forward and fix new regressions in trunk to release to the store (thus your fix for the test is not a patch, but a whole new version). This is the source of issues with calendar in this specific case.

Auto landing of clicks is not done as there is no testing along the
pipeline for clicks; merge requests, test the debs, most devs test
trunk (which doesn't include launching in a confined environment) or
use qt creator which when ran also doesn't run under confinement.

The last bastion, which would solve almost any issue with this is to
add a testing instance after the clicks build, ci told us end of March
for it to be done; so waiting for that moment.

For auto uploads we also need the data to be parsed from the click on
upload instead of filling forms (version, arch, framework, changelog).
+1 on this, mistyping a version turns into a big mess for the person who does it .Sergio and I both have experience in this.

Nicholas