No more custom home screen backgrounds?

I just upgraded to the latest trusty-proposed image (#261) and my custom
background wasn't preserved. I understand this is deliberate — i.e. not
a bug.

I have some questions about this change.

  - What is the rationale for it?
  - How come the system-settings team weren't coordinated with, so that
    we could have made the background settings make sense (by updating
    the design for the panel and then implementing it)?
  - I find the new background quite unpleasant to look at due to its
    brightness. Can it be toned down a bit?
  - Is there any chance we can have this feature back please? I for one
    enjoy the ability to customise the appearance of my phone and I'm
    pretty sad that this has gone away. It seems that the argument is
    that it's possible to select a wallpaper that makes content on the
    home screen difficult to read. I suggest that you don't worry about
    that; people are capable enough to realise what has happened and to
    select another wallpaper.

In my limited free time, I have been writing a clone of pattrn

  http://pattrnapp.com/

which is a program that I enjoy using on my Android phone. If this
change is to remain, then I don't see any point in finishing writing
this, since all it would be able to do is to change the lock screen
background. That doesn't seem very compelling to me.

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@xxxxxxxxxx ]