Re: [Design] New back button placement, are we serious ?!?

FWIW, that's how Android's 4.4 immersive mode works too:

"When immersive full-screen mode is enabled, your activity continues
to receive all touch events. The user can reveal the system bars with
an inward swipe along the region where the system bars normally
appear."

https://developer.android.com/training/system-ui/immersive.html