Re: Landing team 07.04.14

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Bill Filler <bill.filler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> > ** New dialer-app flaky test (Bill)
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/dialer-app/+bug/1303681
>
> Can anyone from QA (Leo maybe) help debug this as we could use some help.

Sure. I'm flashing and then will give it a try.

>  > * Issues not impacting on the user experience or whitelisted by QA as
> > not a promotion blocker:
> > ** qtubuntu crash causing the dialer app to crash (only during tests)
> > (Bill)
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qtubuntu/+bug/1297900
> > -> seems to only impact on tests, when the application isn't started
> > by upstart. Bounced between unity8, then QA who unassigned themselves.
> > So, seems back on Bill's plate.
> boiko has worked on this one, with a branch here
> https://code.launchpad.net/~boiko/dialer-app/autopilot_upstart, but
> found an issue that he's working on with Leo to resolve.

Actually this one will keep bouncing for a while. We'll probably need help
from upstart, unity and autopilot.
I'll try to make a summary of what we found last week:

Autopilot is starting the app with UpstartAppLaunch.start_application_test,
and it's stopping it with stop_application, which sounds correct.
This works with no issues on normal tests. But for the dialer app we have a
test that opens the messaging app, and that one leaves the dialer app on a
state that can't be started again with
UpstartAppLaunch.start_application_test making all the following tests to
fail.

With tedg's help we found that this is expected behavior. What's different
from the cases where no secondary apps are started is that in this case,
the dialer is left on unity's recent apps category with no running process
associated. If I click it there, unity restarts the app. But autopilot
doesn't seem to be able to restart it.

I might be making a mess here, because I didn't understand all the details
of upstart, unity and the restartable app with no process. I'm adding
thomi, tedg and saviq to see if we can find a solution. What's calling
unity to restart that application? Maybe we can call the same thing from
autopilot. Or maybe we can start the app in a way that doesn't leave it on
the recent category.

Sorry for not mentioning this before. I've just noticed we were talking
about the same thing.

pura vida.
--
¡paz y baile!