Autopilot / UpstartAppLaunch and Secondary applications

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Leo Arias <leo.arias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > (Bill)
>> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qtubuntu/+bug/1297900
>> > -> seems to only impact on tests, when the application isn't started
>> > by upstart. Bounced between unity8, then QA who unassigned themselves.
>> > So, seems back on Bill's plate.
>> boiko has worked on this one, with a branch here
>> https://code.launchpad.net/~boiko/dialer-app/autopilot_upstart, but
>> found an issue that he's working on with Leo to resolve.
>>

> Actually this one will keep bouncing for a while. We'll probably need help
> from upstart, unity and autopilot.
> I'll try to make a summary of what we found last week:
>
> Autopilot is starting the app with
> UpstartAppLaunch.start_application_test, and it's stopping it with
> stop_application, which sounds correct.
> This works with no issues on normal tests. But for the dialer app we have
> a test that opens the messaging app, and that one leaves the dialer app on
> a state that can't be started again with
> UpstartAppLaunch.start_application_test making all the following tests to
> fail.
>
> With tedg's help we found that this is expected behavior. What's different
> from the cases where no secondary apps are started is that in this case,
> the dialer is left on unity's recent apps category with no running process
> associated. If I click it there, unity restarts the app. But autopilot
> doesn't seem to be able to restart it.
>
> I might be making a mess here, because I didn't understand all the details
> of upstart, unity and the restartable app with no process. I'm adding
> thomi, tedg and saviq to see if we can find a solution. What's calling
> unity to restart that application? Maybe we can call the same thing from
> autopilot. Or maybe we can start the app in a way that doesn't leave it on
> the recent category.

Since we already have a special method in libUAL (start_application_test,
as opposed to start_application), it would be nice if the logic for
starting apps in this special state could live in libUAL, for a few reasons.

First, the obvious and selfish one: I'd rather not do the work :P

The second, and more reasonable reason is that I'd like to avoid tying
autopilot to unity8 so closely, especially when upstart is available on the
desktop today, but unity8 is not.

Having said that, if someone tells me what needs to happen in autopilot,
I'm happy to add it ASAP.

Thomi Richards
thomi.richards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Follow ups