Re: Internationalizing scopes

On Tue, 2014-04-15 at 22:26 +0200, Christian Dywan wrote:
> Does this imply that the recommendation for .desktop files should also
> change? If scopes are slow to load with .mo files, wouldn't the same
> apply to .desktop files? Or maybe the question is what is "wrong" with
> scopes that they can't be as efficient as .desktop files?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. The strings being in the .ini
or .desktop file directly is going to be faster than doing a bunch of
stat() calls on the disk, loading another binary file, finding the
translation index, grabbing the string, and finally showing it, when
we're already going to have to parse the .ini or .desktop files to get
the untranslated string, and the gettext domain, anyway. If the
translated strings are also in the same file, it's a lot less work that
has to be done, to get those translations into the UI. We would be
handling the .ini and .desktop files the same way.

Placing the gettext domain in the .desktop file is not part of the
FreeDesktop specification, anyway. It's just something that was done on
Ubuntu, to aid in the creation of translation packs. It was never "more
efficient" in terms of pure computing performance, to do it that way.