Core Apps update 2014-05-02

2014-05-02

Back to work after dancing merrily round a Maypole this weeks bumper
update is a day late.

== General Updates ==

We've been working hard this week to reduce the number of outstanding
aged merge requests, and improve velocity of incoming merge requests.

We bumped the minimum framework for the core apps from
"ubuntu-sdk-13.10" to "ubuntu-sdk-14.04-qml-dev1". The impact of this
is anyone running an Ubuntu Touch 13.10 (Saucy) image on their device
will no longer get core app updates from the store as all future
uploads will depend on the 14.04 (or above) framework.
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1315318 - App uses old framework

== Getting Involved ==

We have a number of bugs in core apps, features that need implementing
and outstanding merge requests for review. As always we welcome new
contributors and code contributions.
If any community developers would like to get involved please join us
in #ubuntu-app-devel, or drop me an email. We can get you bootstrapped
quickly and find some fun things to hack on in no time! :)

== Reminders ==

Reminders developers are implementing the new designs for the app
We've put the wheels in motion to add Reminders as a pre-installed app
on the device, which should appear on an upcoming image soon. Once in
the default image we'll be calling for more widespread testing than
the app is currently getting.
Reminders is a network dependent application so some additional work
has gone in this week to ensure we cater better for network error
conditions.
  * https://code.launchpad.net/~mzanetti/reminders-app/no-network/+merge/217820
  * https://code.launchpad.net/~mzanetti/reminders-app/loading-property/+merge/217792
  * https://code.launchpad.net/~mzanetti/reminders-app/loading-errors/+merge/217835
Leo has also been working on improving the test coverage, a
requirement of the app being in the default image.
  * https://code.launchpad.net/~elopio/reminders-app/test_go_to_accounts2/+merge/214163

== Music ==

The Music developers have been working on the migration of Music from
mediascanner to mediascanner2
They've also been co-ordinating the migration from an unconfined app
to confinement which will come with the migration to media-hub.
Andrew added the ability to play all tracks for a given artist
  lp:~andrew-hayzen/music-app/add-artist-play-all
* A slew of bug fixes this week
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1290814 - Update app to build .pot
translation file as part of CMake
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1310161 - Expanding an item and then
tapping it to play causes queue to be disorganized
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1292044 - AP Tests mangle /home when
run on phablet devices
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1314262 - When app loads, toolbar
disappears before it can be tapped
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1314515 - "Tap play or any item"
makes no sense when there is "No music found"

== Calendar ==

We have a few outstanding merge requests for Calendar which are on the
hit-list to get completed soon, ideally this week. As always, help on
these would be most welcome.
  https://code.launchpad.net/~yohanboniface/ubuntu-calendar-app/DatePicker/+merge/212163
  https://code.launchpad.net/~yohanboniface/ubuntu-calendar-app/AgendaView/+merge/212164
  https://code.launchpad.net/~pkunal-parmar/ubuntu-calendar-app/CalManagement/+merge/213355
We had to revert a commit which caused the display of the calendar to
be outsized on the phone
  https://code.launchpad.net/~vthompson/ubuntu-calendar-app/revert-commit-247/+merge/217316
* A mass of bug fixes this week!
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1303359 - Text in "New Event" is
very hard to see on Desktop
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1311167 - no feedback when events are loading
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1311133 - default start/end times
for new event should be changed
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1311159 - time picker does not match
value of start/end field
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1311109 - can't scroll event detail view
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1311111 - Event Name field is obscured by OSK
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1311122 - Cancel/Save toolbar is too big

== Weather ==

A quiet week for the weather app!
Nekhelesh migrated to the new icon set for the toolbar.
  https://code.launchpad.net/~nik90/ubuntu-weather-app/improved-toolbar-icons/+merge/216098
* Bug fixes
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1288819 - font.pointSize should not
be used together with units.gu()

== RSS Reader ==

This week we've been improving tests thanks to Carla and Leo!
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1314531 - Shorts test fail on mako
#3 and #4 utopic
  https://code.launchpad.net/~carla-sella/ubuntu-rssreader-app/open_feed_test/+merge/214598

== File Manager ==

This week Carlos has been hard at work re-working one of his very
large merges into more manageable chunks. This has been a significant
chunk of work Carlos has been working on. I look forward to prompt
reviews and this landing soon.
  https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-filemanager-dev/ubuntu-filemanager-app/trunk/+activereviews
* Bug fixes
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1312883 - File Manager version
0.3.163 starts in GridView mode on a Nexus 4
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1312712 - Does not run on desktop
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1312879 - File Manager Home icon is
not installed via click package

== Sudoku App ==

Barry Warsaw migrated our tests to Python 3, thanks Barry!
  https://code.launchpad.net/~barry/sudoku-app/py3autopilot/+merge/217990

== Dropping Letters ==

* Bug fixes!
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1266093 - Selecting a "New Game"
does not reset score
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1289695 - Title for all Core apps
should be improved/localized for Desktop
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1196865 - No audio during play

--
Alan Pope
Engineering Manager