Re: X86 Ubuntu Touch Emulator

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 11:39 PM, Jason Gerlowski <gerlowskija@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I ran a `man ubuntu-emulator` and it has some basic information about the
> command (the main modes, for example), but I couldn't find any detail on the
> different flags ("--use-raw-disk", "--arch", etc.).  (Maybe my man page is
> out of date though)

You can get more info with --help, but you need to use it with the
command you want to know more, like:
rsalveti@evasys:~$ ubuntu-emulator --help
Usage:
  ubuntu-emulator [OPTIONS] <command>

Help Options:
  -h, --help  Show this help message

Available commands:
  create    Create new emulator instance named 'name'
  destroy   Destroys an emulator instance named 'name'
  list      Lists emulator instances
  run       Run emulator instance named 'name'
  snapshot  Manipulates snapshots for emulator instance named 'name'

rsalveti@evasys:~$ ubuntu-emulator create --help
Usage:
  ubuntu-emulator [OPTIONS] create [create-OPTIONS]

Creates a new emulator instance name 'name' by downloading the
necessary components from the image server

Help Options:
  -h, --help              Show this help message

[create command options]
          --channel=      Select device channel (ubuntu-touch/devel)
          --server=       Select image server (https://system-image.ubuntu.com)
          --revision=     Select revision
          --use-raw-disk  Use raw disks instead of qcow2
          --arch=         Device architecture to use (i386 or armhf) (armhf)

rsalveti@evasys:~$ ubuntu-emulator run --help
Usage:
  ubuntu-emulator [OPTIONS] run [run-OPTIONS]

Runs a new emulator instance name 'name' which was previously created

Help Options:
  -h, --help                Show this help message

[run command options]
          --skin=           Select skin/emulator type (EDGE)
          --kernel-cmdline= Replace kernel cmdline
          --memory=         Set the device memory (512)
          --scale=          Scale the emulator size (1.0)

> Out of curiousity, are these documented anywhere?  Are there any plans to
> add them to the man page, or was the omission intentional?  (I'd love to
> lend a hand in updating the man page if someone can point me in the right
> direction.)

Guess --help is the best we have at this point, but it'd indeed be
nice to have a better man page for it.

You can find the source code at lp:goget-ubuntu-touch. Just change the
file goget-ubuntu-touch/debian/ubuntu-emulator.1 and do a merge
proposal with your updates.

$ bzr branch lp:goget-ubuntu-touch
$ cd goget-ubuntu-touch
$ vim debian/ubuntu-emulator.1
$ bzr commit -m "Updating man page for ubuntu-emulator"
$ bzr push lp:~<yourlpuser>/goget-ubuntu-touch/updating_man_page
$ bzr lp-open

Then just manually propose the merge request, by following the
instructions in the webpage (opened with bzr lp-open).

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo