Landing team 03.06.14

Hi everyone!

Today was another day of battling the aftermath of the split greeter
landing. It seems that yesterdays fix was not enough and caused
additional issues, with the images missing indicators on the greeter
screen. We decided to still give it a shot and not resolve to reverting
the big landing. The deal was: if we're not able to come up with a
solution till 12 UTC, we revert. A solution has been invented (thanks
Michał, Oliver and Martin!), so we decided to go in this direction. We
had to wait a while until #63 appeared and so far it looks very
promising. A silo with the revert of the greeter is ready in case we see
additional problems.

The rationale for not reverting the greeter instantly were:
1) It is a big landing of many many components. Reverting such landings
is always risky, as we never know if we revert correctly and not end up
in some half-broken state
2) After reverting, there is no guarantee if the greeter bits would be
fixed and we wouldn't end up again with the same situation - as before
local testing was ok, but problems appeared only on smoketesting. So it
seemed better to risk than just revert
3) The greeter landing waited for release for months already

We apologize for all the inconveniences. We decided to take the risk and
let's hope it proves to be the right decision.
Because we have our test results back (for now only for mako, but that's
alright), we officially drop TRAINCON-0!

So ATTENTION all landers!
Normal landings resume!

Of course, the greeter introduces many regressions which will have to be
fixed, so we might end up in TRAINCON-0 anyway. It's been a while since
the last promotion, so sadly...
But let's not think about that now. Let's get moving forward finally!

Not much updates on the list side due to all the chaos happening, but
still... let's keep track of what's important:

* Links to auto-generated commit-logs of recent images:
(Host might change in the nearest time)
http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/landing-team/61.commitlog
http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/landing-team/62.commitlog
http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/landing-team/63.commitlog

* Link to the smoketesting board:
http://ci.ubuntu.com/smokeng/utopic/touch/
#63:
http://ci.ubuntu.com/smokeng/utopic/touch/mako/63:20140603.1:20140530/8381/

* Known issues:

** Pictures taken with flash are almost completely black (Bill)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/camera-app/+bug/1322121
 -> Camera-app might be rewritten soon

** Some issues related to the greeter landing
 -> We will have a complete list of that tomorrow, since we now have a
solid, testable image

* Issues not impacting user experience
(will become blockers if not fixed after a while):

** High CPU usage observed across EDS and indicator-datetime causing
clock app tests to fail
https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-datetime/+bug/1321775
 -> Calendar app trunk seems to have the fix, but no new version
released yet - Thomi mentioned some brokeness when running tests as a
click package, no progress here

** File manager flaky test (Julien)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-filemanager-app/+bug/1316677
 -> Possible bug identified, looking for someone who could dig into
deeper and propose a fix

** Terminal app issues with responsiveness and usability
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-terminal-app/+bug/1322529
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-terminal-app/+bug/1322527
 -> Waiting for some of the fixes to get released

** Failing ubuntu-system-settings *tz* tests
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-system-settings/+bug/1319711
 -> Earlier identified as flaky, not reproducible locally, but happens
more frequently on smoketesting recently

** Gallery app autopilot tests broken
 -> Fix will be released today

Cheers!

--