Re: Landing team 03.06.14

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 03.06.2014, 23:03 +0200 schrieb Łukasz 'sil2100'
Zemczak:
> Hi everyone!
>
> Today was another day of battling the aftermath of the split greeter
> landing. It seems that yesterdays fix was not enough and caused
> additional issues, with the images missing indicators on the greeter
> screen. We decided to still give it a shot and not resolve to reverting
> the big landing.

On a sidenote (i guess paul will elaboarte later on this) the issues we
had pointed out some serious flaw in our smoke testing infrastructure
that was worked around by paul today.
If you ever wondered why your autopilot test results at home differed
sometimes from what was seen in the lab tests it could have well been
caused by a leftover dbus-x11 package that did not get removed after a
test which used this package got run.
The fallout of having that package around resulted in session
dbus-daemon processes that got randomly spawned when there were AP
reqests to the bus while no session dbus was run ... (dbus-x11 ships
dbus-launch which fires up session bus processes on request) when AP had
connected to such a bus while the actual session bus was handling the
apps it could not communicate to the apps anymore ...

While these were painful two days for all people involved the pain had
quite positive outcome :)
The lab smoke tests should be far more stable and reliable now (dbus-x11
will only be installed in tests that actually need, use and can handle
it) we wouldn't have understood the issue or actually known about it
without going though this pain ...

Thanks to everyone who helped along the way !!

ciao
	oli