Re: Landing team 03.06.14

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hi,
> Am Dienstag, den 03.06.2014, 23:03 +0200 schrieb Łukasz 'sil2100'
> Zemczak:
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > Today was another day of battling the aftermath of the split greeter
> > landing. It seems that yesterdays fix was not enough and caused
> > additional issues, with the images missing indicators on the greeter
> > screen. We decided to still give it a shot and not resolve to reverting
> > the big landing.
>
> On a sidenote (i guess paul will elaboarte later on this) the issues we
> had pointed out some serious flaw in our smoke testing infrastructure
> that was worked around by paul today.
> If you ever wondered why your autopilot test results at home differed
> sometimes from what was seen in the lab tests it could have well been
> caused by a leftover dbus-x11 package that did not get removed after a
> test which used this package got run.

I'm not sure we can call this a flaw in our smoke testing infrastructure.
It's been well known for a long time that we'll continue to hit odd
problems like this as long as we have to pull in debs for testing, since
they often bring additional dependencies we don't want. We do take measures
to clean up the environment and remove the packages we install, but in this
case it was a dependency of a dependency, and apt-get doesn't handle
autoremoval past one level deep.  Anyone testing this locally would have
seen exactly the same problems if they also ran the dialer or messaging app
tests.  The dependency chain appears to be:

messaging-app-autopilot -> ofono-phonesim-autostart -> dbus-x11

So if you want to test the messaging app and install that autopilot
package, you'll bring in dbus-x11 along with it. After running anything
that requires packages installed, we do an autoremove step, but in this
case it doesn't help:

root@ubuntu-phablet:~# apt-get autoremove --purge messaging-app-autopilot
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libfontenc1* libxfont1* messaging-app-autopilot* ofono-phonesim*
  ofono-phonesim-autostart* xserver-common* xvfb*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 4,166 kB disk space will be freed.

So I guess one question is whether or not ofono-phonesim-autostart really
needs dbus-x11 installed. For now, we can work around this misbehaving
package by making sure we always try to remove it, but it would be better
if we didn't have to bring it in to begin with.