Identifying memory issues, #2

Hi,

I'm writing to the list to raise awareness and ask for help with a
general problem with recent images. I've noticed on a few occasions
that my phone has been running hot and often the UI is unresponsive
around the same time. Usually this happens after the phone has been on
for some hours - often more than 6 hours continuous uptime.

Most recently last night my phone was unusable after being sat on my
desk for a few hours with some applications running. I was able to run
a few basic commands before it froze up completely. This was on the
latest devel-proposed image on a Nexus 4.

Here's the only output I managed to grab and paste before it froze:-

http://paste.ubuntu.com/7588543/

I've noticed individual apps such as Music & Web browser have this
problem, but also Unity itself seems to consume more RAM on later
images than it previously did. A couple of bugs along these lines:-

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webbrowser-app/+bug/1326378
https://bugs.launchpad.net/music-app/+bug/1289804

Right now those of us running proposed images tend to flash them
daily, sometimes twice daily, and reboot to run autopilot tests or
other development related tasks. What we don't tend to do often is
exercise applications over a longer period of hours, or days.

What can we do to improve our awareness of memory leaking/eating applications?
What tools can we use to identify the issues and root cause?
How can we continually measure these memory leaks so we can more
easily see positive/negative impact of our changes?

I'd appreciate the help from the experts in this area, as these issues
make the phone somewhat unusable beyond a few hours.

Thanks,
--
Alan Pope
Engineering Manager