Developers: changelog quality

hi,

Due to new breakage with the upstart-app-launch renaming and thus
(again) massive smoke test breakage we are again close to
TRAINCON-0 ...

During the last days the landing team  had to research all this
breakage, for which we would usually just skim over the changelogs on
the utopic-changes mailing list to quickly top level identify the issue
and then dig deeper into the code of the suspicious package.

With the current quality of changelog entries people provide to us this
is not possible at all. We have to dig into each and every changeset and
actually need to understand what code changes in there do, changelog
entries end up being something like
 "* rename foo to bar" or "* new feature blah" across ten packages with
no detailed explanation at all what code was changed, if there were
added or removed dependencies or any additional code reworks.

Having to do this deep code analysis has (and still is today) costed a
huge amount of hours to the landing team which eventually makes us end
up in TRAINCON-0 because we can not risk to land new stuff if former
issues are not resolved first.

As one of the persons on the landing team who is in charge to nod off
packaging changes I will from today on *NOT ACK ANY PACKAGING CHANGES*
that do not:

a) have a descriptive enough changelog entry so that a developer not
affiliated with your code can understand what changed, why it changed
and where it changed in the tree.

b) add or remove dependencies without mentioning them in the changelog

Please try to be at least minimally descriptive so others know what you
changed in your code, this will speed us all up if something goes wrong
and prevent possible TRAINCON-0 situations in the future (and will also
make our legal dept. happy in 5 years when we have that patent cause
where we need to present code to proof we had prior art in 2014 ;) ).

ciao
	oli