Re: Identifying memory issues, #2

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 05.06.2014, 08:17 -0700 schrieb Steve Langasek:

> > we discussed these tools at the sprint and I took a TODO home with me to
> > implement proper script wrappers around these tools in the phablet-tools
> > suite (i.e. resulting in phablet-memtest, phablet-powertest etc) so we
> > can have properly comparable reports from a combination of pre defined
> > test runs ... eventually these tools will then be integrated in the
> > smoke testing suite. I will announce it here once we have something
> > usable ....
>
> But putting them into the smoketest suite doesn't give them to us in the
> image, correct?  So this would still limit our ability to use them for
> opportunistic debugging.

phablet-tools is rather for home use than for smoke testing we just
happen to usually do it in that order ...
(i.e. for bootcharting i developed phablet-bootchart which is shipped in
phablet-tools, then handed it to the CI team, they asked for some extra
features i added and now the bootchart creation is using this script
which makes sure that the results you get at home are identical to
theirs)
using phablet-tools for CI stuff simply makes sure we all use the same
bits and pieces with the same bugs and results ... so we have something
we can also hand to OEMs that allows them to compare their results to
our reference ones.

to have something like phablet-memstat I would indeed need to make sure
all these little bits and pieces are in the archive etc
> Given that these tools are all (AIUI) small, it would be nice to have them
> there.  You never know when you're going to need to debug an issue, and if
> you have to remount rw and install a .deb to catch it, it may be too late.

you mean having them seeded and preinstalled permanently ? i suppose we
could do that, yes  (phablet-*foo would indeed make the image writable
and install their debs as first step)

ciao
	oli