Re: Developers: changelog quality

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 1:31 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is simply about being supportive to your co-workers in the
> developer community, they don't know your code but will have to find the
> issues with it  ...

Thanks for your message ogra, it's a perspective I'm unfamiliar with.
I'm not on the -changes mailing list and working deep within the dark
recesses of citrain gives me good access to the MPs, so usually I'm
getting slapped in the face with the relevant MPs and bzr logs, which
means debian/changelog is largely just irrelevant to me.

One concern that I have about rejecting uploads solely because of a
problem with the changelog content is that it leads to a situation
like this:

1. upstream developer spends a great deal of time writing new feature / bug fix
2. upstream developer documents the change in great detail in their
bzr commit messages
3. upstream developer summarizes the change in reasonable detail in
the MP message.
4. I assign a silo to them for building/testing
5. upstream developer initiates silo build and waits sometimes a long
time for that to complete.
6. upstream developer spends a great deal of time testing their code,
making sure it works
7. upstream developer gives me the green light to publish
8. a core dev says "this changelog is insufficient, start over!"

Now steps 5, 6, and 7 must be repeated just for a trivial changelog
fix which consumes quite a lot of time for the upstream developer.

So, it makes me wonder, can there be some provision for editing the
changelog without requiring retesting? Maybe the upstream developer
who has to write a new changelog entry can just email it to the core
dev who rejected the upload based on the changelog, and that core dev
could upload a -0ubuntu2 with just the changelog fix?