Re: Replacement for upstart-app-stop?

Hi Ted,

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-06-07 at 15:57 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
>
> Unfortunately I get a bunch of crash files in /var/crash, and need to
> do some correlation to figure out which app crashed it. I'll modify my
> script to look for files in /var/crash after every application
> start/stop cycle and pause so I can analyse it.
>
> e.g. these guys, no idea what triggered them without some effort.
>

> Frankly, I don't think you should have to analyze them, though that'd be
> nice. A lot of time stacktraces are self explanatory in that regard.
> Uploading is more important that analyzing.

I modified the script so it pauses whenever I get a crash and that was
great for identifying which apps cause or show up platform issues. In
fact we've had two updates in the store as a direct result me
identifying them with this script, so there's a net benefit right
there. Eventually all of the analysis finished and with 326 apps I had
7 bugs filed, so it's all good.

> For me personally I just want you to run:
>
> /usr/share/apport/whoopsie-upload-all

I figure that's useful in the case where I have multiple .crash files
which need uploading, which is fine. In my case I paused the script
each time I found a .crash and manually filed a bug *and* ran
apport-cli <crashfile> which I believe is effectively the same as your
whoopsie-upload-all but for one file. I appreciate the input though
Ted, I'll probably let it run to the end and then upload-all at the
end.

> That'll collect the additional apport data and put them into errors for
> grouping. I imagine that most devs are checking errors for stack traces of
> their packages already, and that way we can see if they happen on specific
> devices/architectures/etc.

I wasn't sure if devs actually look at the uploaded crash reports. Is
your imagination matched with reality? Can I expect that developers of
foo will look for crashdumps for foo? Is that reasonable? (I feel
there's a common {mis}conception that crashdumps disappear into the
aether and are never looked at, which would be good to dispel).

> There's currently no tool to add a custom field on the crash reports like
> "AlanTesting: Staring app" or similar. But I it shouldn't be too hard to add
> at the top of the crash files with a small script. Then we should be able to
> search for them by that key I believe (cc'd Evan to check that)

I'm not looking for special treatment, I'm just interested in making
sure developers look at the crash reports, whoever files them.

Alan Pope
Engineering Manager

Canonical - Product Strategy
+44 (0) 7973 620 164