Re: Background services: a problem that we need to face

* Fabio Colella <fcole90@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The advantages of not allowing background services are mainly
> longer battery life and better overall performances.
> I think we should find a compromise that allow the user to use
> apps that need background services but also makes him/her free
> to stop/resume them.
> My consideration is that the user should always end up being
> able to decide what he/she want's to use and when. We put
> conventions (like stop on low battery) over user configuration,
> but the user should still be free to change
> it.

On Android, it seems to be a cultural norm that there is no
difference between having an app installed and having it running
all the time.  It seems like practically every app has a
background service, even when completely unnecessary or unwanted.
Because almost every app developer views their app as the single
most important thing on the phone, and it needs to be running all
the time.

On Ubuntu Touch though, we can actually close apps...  and they
stay closed!  This is a major selling point, an awesome feature
compared to the competition.

On my Android phone, the battery lasts about 4 to 6 times as long
when I can prevent the zillions of unnecessary background apps
from running.  And when I run an app, it starts and responds much
faster without all that other junk taking up RAM and CPU time.

I'd very much like it if we put control over this in the end
user's hands, and give them the ability to override obnoxious
decisions made by the app developers.  I really don't want
Facebook running in the background, pinging the server every few
minutes...  I just want it available on demand for the rare times
I need to use it on the go.  And the same goes for pretty much
everything else on the phone.

-- Selene