Re: Status update: Planned changes to the developer mode/adb access

On 14-07-07 06:14 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Marc,

>>> I assume with this you cannot change the password after the fact
>>> without wiping the user data on the device?
>
>> Sure, you enable a password/PIN on the lock screen.
>
> I may be misunderstanding; does this imply that one must enable
> password-based unlock on the screen in order to have password-based sudo
> over adb?  I would not like to have to password unlock my phone for each
> use, but would like sudo to work - the two use cases are obviously (to me)
> not equivalent.

There's only one user account involved, and that user account has a single
password/PIN.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to expose the idea to users that they require
multiple passwords/PINs depending on the service they are trying to reach.

Ssh access will require a password, and ecryptfs will require a user password to
unencrypt the user's home directory.

Should the lock screen be treated differently than the login screen, with two
separate password/PINs?

Marc.