Re: No cellular service from image #113

On 07/08/2014 03:21 PM, Elias K Gardner wrote:
Hey all,
Could anyone assist me figuring out whats going on with my cellular
service. Over the weekend my Ubuntu phone stopped getting reporting a
carrier. Image #113 was installed but I'm not certain it happened
immediately after the updated. Today I updated to image #119, with no
change. When I go into Cellular settings the Carrier is automatically
set to N/A. If set to manual there are no carrier options. I have put my
SIM card in another phone and it works fine.

Thanks for the report Elias!

Is there anything I can do to try to figure this out?
I'm not even sure what to file a bug against?

I'm assuming from your description that this used to work?

We've been fighting an issue with urfkill that affects the state of the modem for some time now. In the daily landing emails, this is referenced:

** Wrong WWAN value in saved-states (Mathieu)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/urfkill/+bug/1321627
 -> We had notice that this problem is still around... not a promotion
blocker as it is with us already since some time. Mathieu is working on it.

If you hit this bug, it can prevent your modem from being set online when the device boots.

The important things to check:

1. The value in urfkill's saved_states file:

$ adb shell cat /var/lib/urfkill/saved-states

If the WWAN soft state is true, then the modem will not be set online after the device boots.

2. The output of the ofono script 'list-modems'

$ adb shell /usr/share/ofono/scripts/list-modems

I'd be surprised if this wasn't what you've hit, but if so, another good place to looks for clues is syslog:

$ adb shell grep ofono /var/log/syslog

If evidence points to the above problem with ufkill, please add your results to the bug.

FYI, I've added details to the bug about the testing silo for urfkill that was created earlier today.

Otherwise, I'd report a new bug against ofono, and we can work with you diagnose what's gone wrong.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ofono/+filebug

Regards,
/tony

p.s. are you using a pre-paid SIM by any chance?