Re: What's the plan with docking a phone to a tablet?

Portable monitors exist today, but Ubuntu itself doesn't yet have that kind of software support yet for dual monitors. It's a future goal for Mir that will enable the kind of automatic adjustment.

You can already see this in the way Unity 8 and Ubuntu SDK apps adapt on the desktop when you resize the UI window. It will come fairly quickly but these things are best developed one step at a time. The video is the final goal, but with Ubuntu you are able to watch the process step by step as each component is polished to provide a stable, reliable user experience while providing the engineering foundation for the next block to appear.

It's fun to watch but sometimes a lot of pieces have to land before the bigger picture starts to appear. It's no use to have Mir and Unity 8 power a desktop experience while Unity 7 is robust and the phone and tablet aren't polished yet, for example. I'm confident just from the last 18 months of refinement that the finished puzzle will be brilliant.

If you want a decent tablet experience you are better off buying one with the OS you prefer preinstalled. I would definitely not buy any Android phone or tablet with the intention of using it for Ubuntu. If you want Ubuntu, I recommend buying an Ubuntu device. None are currently for sale but several should be available toward the end of this year.

Regards,
Nathan

--
Nathan Haines <nhaines@xxxxxxxxxx>