Landing team 11.09.14

Hi everyone,

I am now back again as your standard landing e-mail host! Thanks go to
Oliver for picking up this specific duty in my absence :)

Today we had a few issues impacting both our standard utopic and
ubuntu-rtm images. Because of some unexpected problems with adbd in
utopic and, on the other hand, a package blocked in -proposed for
ubuntu-rtm (due to missing dependencies) - both channels had general
issues. Both got fixed and all images are back to an usable state again.

That being said: no promotions today sadly. We still have some of the
old blockers around - some of the fixes that we had lined up for them do
not seem to fix the expected issues. For instance, QA has reported that
even with the qtmir silo installed the input lockups [1] still happen -
so we cannot promote an image with such an regression.
We also have quite a lot autopilot issues in smoketesting.

This week we also did not perform any exploratory testing yet
(dogfooding) on any of the ubuntu-rtm images for krillin. I have asked
Dave to perform such tomorrow morning. So there might be additional
issues that have sneaked through - although we're pretty confident that
we would notice those during QA sign-off.

We will also include small changes in marking the 'testing done' fields
in the spreadsheet. Brendan from QA gave some interesting ideas on how
to make the communication better by including the device name, tester
and comments whenever testing is finished.
But we will discuss it more tomorrow.

One last thing: we will be switching to TRAINCON-0 on Monday if we won't
be able to promote tomorrow. Let's do our best to get the image
unblocked ASAP!

Thanks!

The list:

* What landed in our images:
http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/landing-team/

- http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/landing-team/ubuntu/237.commitlog
- http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/landing-team/ubuntu/236.commitlog

#30 krillin
- http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/landing-team/ubuntu-rtm/30.commitlog

* Smoke-testing results:
http://ci.ubuntu.com/smokeng/utopic/touch/

#237 mako
-
http://ci.ubuntu.com/smokeng/utopic/touch/mako/237:20140911.1:20140903.1/10370/

* Some useful documentation:
(Still under development)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/citrain/ComponentSupportList
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/citrain/LandingTeam
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/citrain/FAQ
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/citrain/RTMLandingApproaches

http://people.canonical.com/~platform/citrain_dashboard/
http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/issues/
https://trello.com/b/AE3swczu/silo-testing

(See the issues dashboard for always up-to-date blocker status)

* Blocking issues:

** [1] Sometimes input breaks and only edges are responsive
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1295623
 => Merge requests present
 -> Fix mentioned to be in an RTM silo but QA mentions that it does not
fix the issue - or at least not all of the symptoms.

** Video and Music scopes should provide non-file:/// based URIs
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1340952
 => Merge requests present
 -> Currently a blocker but might be whitelisted in case other blockers
are resolved before this one - mainly because it's not a regression but
a problem in a 'new' feature, so to say.

** Location trust service is not started on image 203
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1359866
 -> Situation much better than before after the recent landings but QA
still reports problems with location from time to time... Anyway, those
are different issues so we will fill in an additional, different blocker
for those.

** Can't manually install clicks "Signature verification error" since #205
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1360582
[Time counter 13/7]
 => Merge requests present
 -> Landing reverted. Packagekit changes landed, now only UITK changes
need to happen.

** upstart can race with cgmanager when using remove-on-empty
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1357252
 => Merge requests present
 -> We have been told to only whitelist this for one promotion, so now
it's a blocker. Currently the archive has the u-a-l revert (no cgroups
support), but it seems to be a crucial feature.

** Issues with power management leading to battery levels depleting much
faster (krillin)
 -> Looked into right now

* Known issues:

** Video freezes and doesn't recover randomly
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1314998
 -> Seems to be an old issue, but recently became much more easily
reproducible. Normally it would becone a blocker.

** initial account after creation transfers back to the settings app
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1367804

* Issues not impacting user experience:

** Ubuntu Touch devices sometimes come up with hwclock set to 1970
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1353591
 -> Critical issue, but we're working-around it temporarily to get a
promotion

** indicator-network crashing during dialer-app and default tests on
smoketesting
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1355130
[Time counter 23/7]
[WHITELISTED]
 -> Reproducible all the time, no movement in over 7 days. Might be
whitelisted as per QA decision (as practically it does not affect the
users).

** Seekbar tests are skiped only on nexus 4 and 5
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1359040
 => Merge requests present
 -> Is this really a blocker? Comment needed.

** Sometimes suggestions fail to appear
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1365304
[Time counter 5/7]

Best regards,