Re: Default browser behavior

On Tuesday, 21 October 2014 11:29:21 PM AEDT, Olivier Tilloy wrote:
On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Mitchell Reese
<dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Mitchell Reese
<dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there any easy way to hack the browser so it use a different search
engine? I use google as little as possible. Am also keen to change the
default page of my own setup.

Happy at having a go if someone can point me in the right direction.

You won’t need to hack anything :)
The browser app already supports a couple of configurable settings,
even though it doesn’t have a UI for them yet. It’s all explained in
the README file in the source code:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~phablet-team/webbrowser-app/trunk/view/head:/README#L71.

Cheers,

  Olivier

Have got it partly working. Have created
~/.config/webbrowser-app/settings.conf and added:

homepage=https://duckduckgo.com
searchengine=duck

Homepage works on initial startup, however due to the bowser always
'remembering' the previous site browsed, this is almost never seen.

Indeed. If you run the browser from the command-line with the
"--new-session" parameter, it will forget about previously open tabs
and it will default to the homepage again.

Changing
the default search engine is more problematic. Following this advice in the
link above:

- 'searchengine': a custom search engine specification, looked up
in
   $HOME/.local/share/webbrowser-app/searchengines/{value}.xml  and
following
   the  OpenSearch  document  description  format
   (http://www.opensearch.org/Specifications/OpenSearch/1.1)

I added a ~/.local/share/webbrowser-app/searchengines/duck.xml file, and
filled it with:

 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <OpenSearchDescription xmlns="http://a9.com/-/spec/opensearch/1.1/";>
   <ShortName>Duck Search</ShortName>
   <Description>Search Duck Duck Go</Description>
   <Url type="text/html"
        template="https://duckduckgo.com/?q={searchTerms}"/>
   <AdultContent>false</AdultContent>
   <Language>en-au</Language>
   <OutputEncoding>UTF-8</OutputEncoding>
   <InputEncoding>UTF-8</InputEncoding>
 </OpenSearchDescription>

Still defaulting to google search. What am I doing wrong?

I just tested on my krillin with this exact content, and search is
performed by DuckDuckGo. Did you restart the browser after creating
those files?

Yep, restarted browser after changing those files, and have since rebooted phone several times. Still defaulting to google search on mako.

Is it possible there's something different with your setup?

Sent using Dekko from my Ubuntu device