Re: Critical bug: Bootloop with system language set to Turkish on the Nexus 4

Just in case anyone needs a reference to the Unicode Standard in
relation to the locale-dependent case mappings and Turkish specifically:
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode7.0.0/ch05.pdf#G39776
On 04.12.2014 01:16, Michael Terry wrote:
> (Niklas, re-reading my email, I should clarify that when I said "you", I meant "one" not you
yourself.)  I wasn't blaming you for this bug  :)

<michael.terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:michael.terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

>     As I commented in the bug, this is almost certainly due to a fun
little fact about the Turkish locale: tolower() and toupper() probably
don't do what you expect when it comes to the letter i.

>     You can find some background here:
http://haacked.com/archive/2012/07/05/turkish-i-problem-and-why-you-should-care.aspx/
among other places.

>     Consider this a PSA to be careful when changing string case and
then comparing the result to a hardcoded string.  You might want to use
tolower_l/toupper_l with a C locale instead.

<nikwen.developer@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:nikwen.developer@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

>         Hi,
>
>         As some of you might know, I'm an active member of the XDA
Developers forum.
>         Lately, member Ümit reported that his device doesn't boot when
he sets the system language to Turkish (Ubuntu RTM stable #10). Would
someone please be so kind as to have a look at bug report which contains
more detailed information?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-rtm/+source/ubuntu-system-settings/+bug/1398984

>         I'm sending this to the mailing list because I think it's a
/very/ critical issue. If you think that I shouldn't have done that,
please tell me and I won't do it again in the future. ;)