Re: Critical bug: Bootloop with system language set to Turkish on the Nexus 4

Hi,

Don't worry. I didn't feel offended. ;)
And thank you for looking into this.

Cheers,
Niklas

Am Mi, 3. Dez, 2014 um 11:16 schrieb Michael Terry <michael.terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
(Niklas, re-reading my email, I should clarify that when I said "you", I meant "one" not you yourself.) I wasn't blaming you for this bug :)

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Michael Terry <michael.terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As I commented in the bug, this is almost certainly due to a fun little fact about the Turkish locale: tolower() and toupper() probably don't do what you expect when it comes to the letter i.

You can find some background here: http://haacked.com/archive/2012/07/05/turkish-i-problem-and-why-you-should-care.aspx/ among other places.

Consider this a PSA to be careful when changing string case and then comparing the result to a hardcoded string. You might want to use tolower_l/toupper_l with a C locale instead.

-mt