Re: Scopes default store behaviour

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 5:18 AM, Thomas Strehl
<thomas.strehl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/12/2015 11:52 PM, Mitchell Reese wrote:
>> Hi folks, have just published a scope and associated webapp for OMG
>> Ubuntu, and found a less-than-optimal experience. A scope and bundled
>> webapp is not 'scope centric' in the store. Basically, when installing a
>> scope with an app as 1 click package, it defaults to being listed as an
>> app in the store. This is problematic for a gui that's scope centric.
>> What this means is:
>>
>> 1. When someone opens the scope after installing it, the webapp is
>>    opened instead.
>
> The way we handle scopes in this respect but also the prominence in the
> shell is something we're currently re-evaluating so your feedback is
> very helpful. However, for time being, everything in you see in launcher
> or in app scope is really just apps. The equivalent for scopes is
> "Manage" dash view that you get by bottom up swipe in dash.

I think Mitchell is referring to the "Search" button that's shown on
the store preview right after installing a scope.
If a given click package has both an app and a scope, the "Open"
button is shown and the app is started.

>> 2. Searching the store lets me find the scope under the app section,
>>    not under the scopes.
>>
>> This would be fine if the app was the main part of the user story, but
>> it's not. I've specifically disabled all navigation bars in the webapp
>> for a full-screen experience, and I expect people will use the scope to
>> navigate between articles. Using url-dispatcher, any article that's
>> opened up in the scope defaults to the webapp.
>>
>> I think this needs a rethink. For my usage, having it listed under a
>> scope makes much more sense. Perhaps for other use cases this is
>> reversed. If possible, people should be able to choose where their app
>> is listed, if it has the potential for both. Otherwise, if scopes are
>> what Ubuntu is offering to set this OS apart from the other phones on
>> the market, then scopes should be upfront and centre, and take
>> precedence over apps.

I agree with this point: when a click package has both a scope and an
app, either the scope should take precedence or the devel should be
able to choose how it's displayed in the store results (as an app or
as a scope).
I can think of a couple solutions for this that will require a bit of
work both client and server side; please open a bug and we can discuss
there: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-scope-click/+filebug

cheers,
--
alecu