Re: Allow installing apps from ubuntu touch app store without creating an account

--- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ---
Von: Martin Albisetti <argentina@xxxxxxxxx>
Datum: 31.03.2015 02:43:40
An: zed123 zed <linux5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: [Ubuntu-phone] Allow installing apps from ubuntu touch app store  without creating an account

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 6:08 AM, zed123 zed <linux5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > i heard that it's not possible to download apps from the ubuntu touch
> app
> > store without having an ubuntu one account. I think you should change
> this:
> > Firefox OS allows downloading apps from its marketplace without an account,
>
> > so i don't see why this shouldn't also be possible with ubuntu touch.
>

> > "While the usual tradition of linux distributions is to have repositories
>
> > accessible to anyone, why do I need to have a ubuntu one account in
> order to
> > download apps on the ubuntu store? While ubuntu has until now been very
>
> > strong into providing open alternatives to mainline products, e.g. from
>
> > microsoft or apple, this requirement is a serious threat to the open
>
> > philosophy. I can't see any technical difficulty into not having accounts
> on
> > the server side, and I am very worried about this. "
> >
> > From this thread: "Why do I need a ubuntu one account to download
> apps"
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2265106
>
> A lot of good points have already been made in that forum thread.
> You need an account for several things:
> - App purchases
> - In-app purchases
> - Recovering previously installed apps (free or paid)
> - Remote installing from a web-based store
> - Persisting data in the cloud (U1DB)
> - Accepting per-user licenses (free or paid)
> - Notifying users (via email) of malicious apps they have installed
> that were discovered after they were in the store for a while
> - Mitigating DDoS download attacks
>
> Your argument is that you may not want any of those things, and if you
> don't, you should be able to download an app without authenticating. I
> agree with that from a pure technical point of view.
> However, the default case for the majority of the users and developers
> will be to want these features so thats what we focused on providing.
> We could prioritize this work in the future, but it would involve
> solving at least a few important issues:
> - Developers will need to decide for each app if they want to make
> their app available, a decision many developers unfamiliar with open
> source won't understand
I don't understand this? Wouldn't it be just a choice of whether the app is free or paid?
> - The code everywhere has to be changed to support authenticating
> optionally, in some cases, for some users, for some apps
Good point, but i suppose mozilla has a way to cicumvent this problem.
> - If the user doesn't have an account, can he browse all apps?  How do
> we make sure they understand why sometimes we ask the to create an
> account/log in, sometimes we don't?
If a user has no account he can browse everything, and for paid ones he'll have to create an account. Simply tell the user that an account is necessary for paying or whatever, i think they would understand.
> - Developers want to target platforms they can make money off of. If
> the process of your first purchase involves creating an account at the
> same time as providing your payment details, you are chopping off a
> significant portion of purchases for that developer as most people
> will desist when faced with more processes
I don't think that this would be the case. If you shop online you also have to create accounts and provide payment details, and no one complains. Plus you have to register only once and then never again, so i don't think this would hurt sales. And you could still ask user to create account when turning on the device the first time and tell them they might need it to purchase apps, but then make it optional.
> - We as a platform want to make money off of the store to pay for
> infrastructure and development, same problem as above applies
> - Apps might want to persist your data, for example, a save game. Its
> a terrible time to have to create an account.
Should be up to the user if he wants his data in the cloud or not imho.

> All in all, its been shown again and again that the right time to make
> users log in or create an account is on device set up, where they are
> expecting and willing to invest that extra bit of time which then pays
> off for them, developers and us as a platform down the line.
>
> So, it is possible and we might do it in the future. It is, however,
> not easy nor currently more important than the many other challenges
> we currently have.
Good to hear that you might do it later on, i hope that this will be the case. You might want to talk to mozilla about solving any problems since they have an appstore that works without registration(for free apps).