Re: Ubuntu Store – application order

* Rodney Dawes <rodney.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We would just need to also do something for apps with no
> ratings at all, so they will get weighted better than apps that
> have all negative ratings.

It's pretty simple.  Default to a score of 50% (3 stars?), and
adjust that score up or down based on ratings.  Adjust up/down
farther when an app has lots of good ratings or lots of bad
ratings, because more ratings allows for more certainty.

I generally do this by normalizing into a range of -1.0 to +1.0,
doing all the math in that space, then re-adjusting it to the
scale used for display (1 star to 5 stars).  This makes
center-default scores easy to calculate.

-- Selene