Re: themes and remote web applications

On 12/04/15 10:01, Oliver Grawert wrote:
hi,
Am Freitag, den 10.04.2015, 23:28 +0100 schrieb Alan Bell:

comments and thoughts appreciated . . .

this works fine for apps/pages you write yourself indeed (and i think it
would be an awesome idea if canonical could provide such a css set of
defaults on a webserver centralized and under a documented url).
nah, I want it served up from the phone, not from a remote webserver, so that everything gets whatever custom theme you have, including a custom font size and relating any css grid to the current size of the gu, that kind of thing. It should be http://localhost/theme/ or something along those lines, and perhaps served up in a few different flavours, so you have the core variables that the user gets to tweak, such as primary/accent colours, base font size, pixels per gu etc. then using less or sass we make themes for various web frameworks and locally serve them.

for foreign sites that you don't own you will have to override bits and
pieces of the original css by id or class. this binds you to having to
monitor the css for changes permanently. you can also not proactively
fix this breakage. if a class name or id changes your users will get the
breakage first and your app stays broken for them til you find the time
to fix it.

this requires some heavy engagement and quick reaction from the
maintainer to keep the app looking proper over time ...

ciao
	oli

This is true, however, with frameworks like bootstrap, if you inject the theme at the right point (just shoving it at the end of <head>isn't quite right, it should come just after their own bootstrap.css include) then you get to override fairly standard stuff and let the website apply their changes on top, it seems to work reasonably well, and could work better for sites that are expecting it to happen. For open source web applications like vtiger/odoo/joomla/wordpress/owncloud then there are things we can do server-side to make it more phone-friendly, particularly stuff that is in the repos. What I want is some synergy, the stuff that you run on your Ubuntu server should look extra awesome when viewed on your Ubuntu phone.

Alan.