Re: BQ phone performance

Hi Simon,

On 22.04.2015 12:27, Simon wrote:
> TL;DR: Ubuntu Touch on the bq phone feels annoying slow, is that
> normal?
>
> I am using the bq phone as my main phone for a while now. I
> immediately upgraded to r21 when the phone arrived and am now on
> r22. A pretty 'standard' user I assume. The latest upgrade really
> fixed a lot of annoying bugs but...
>
> My phone freezes a few times a day.

Now that's odd...

> - It's in standby on my desk and I press the power button to read
> a message or something. Sometimes it's simply stuck, I can't type
> my pin code the screen is frozen. Pressing the power button
> multiple times (on, off, on, off) sometimes helps. If not, reboot.

Hmm... interesting. I wonder if this is the same as
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity8/+bug/1435364

Do you start apps from commandline or develop apps with the Ubuntu
SDK? Otherwise, is there anything you do that could cause this?

> - Sometimes it simply does not wake up when I press the power
> button. Black screen. Reboot.

There is a bug related to this, where the device sometimes wouldn't
wake up on the first power button press. I'm hitting that too,
however, never really had to reboot because of that. A second press
does wake up the screen for me.

> - Sometimes the 'Apps' screen freezes. I can swipe to the other
> apps but the Apps screen does not respond. I can not close that app
> like the others so I can't simply 'restart the App screen'.
> Reboot.

Also that really shouldn't happen. I have seen crashes of the dash,
but definitely not often. And if so, the device restarts the dash
automatically when it happens.

> - In Podbird pulling down the list to refresh the podcasts list
> always hangs somewhere in between, it works, and if I leave it for
> 10 - 15 seconds it will eventually get there.
>
> - In Podbird the play and pause buttons sometimes don't work. Well,
> they work, but it feels like it takes +10 seconds before they
> registered the touch event.

I've never used podbird, but seems like issues in Podbird itself.

> Is the bq phone slow and Ubuntu Touch not yet optimized? Is this
> this the expected behaviour or is there something wrong with my
> setup?

While the bq device surely isn't the fastest one out there, what
you're describing seems worse than what I'd say one could expect. I
have a feeling something is odd with your setup. Can you try to get
some more informations?

* Does the device get hot during normal usage (not doing CPU intense
tasks playing games or similar).

* Can you log in using a command line and check with "top" if there's
some process going crazy when this happens?

* when the apps screen freezes, can you please collect
/home/phablet/.cache/upstart/unity8-dash.log
/home/phablet/.cache/upstart/unity8.log

and send them in? Also give it a bit of time before rebooting and see
if it recovers after some 10 seconds or so. In case it would crash,
apport will collect information about the crash which makes it appear
frozen before it gets restarted.

> Thank you for all the hard work community! Haven't been this
> excited about a new smartphone since my iPhone 1!

Heh. Happy to hear that :)

Br,
Michael