Screen Dimming

Hi all,

I just got a bug report [1] about the interaction of the OS's screen dimming and Beru's page turning. I'm not quite sure whose fault this is, so I have a number of questions. Please answer whichever was the correct one to ask (even if I didn't ask it).

The basic problem is that the screen dims after ~40s of non-use. This isn't necessarily enough time to read a whole page (especially on a tablet), so the user taps the screen to wake it. But Beru senses the tap and triggers a page turn, which is not what the user desired.

Questions:

1) Should that tap to wake the screen be passed through to the app? I would have expected it to be trapped by the OS, but maybe this is the desired behavior.

2) Is it possible to increase the timeout for the dimming? I don't want to disable screen locking; I just want to keep the screen bright until the screen locks.

3) Is it possible for Beru to get notified when the screen dims? Then it can ignore the next touch event, since that was to wake the screen.

4) Is it possible for Beru to get the current screen brightness. It could poll the brightness occasionally so that it knows if the screen has dimmed.

Thanks,
Robert

[1] https://github.com/rschroll/beru/issues/84

Follow ups