Re: Online Accounts for Scopes

On 11/05/15 13:11, Michael Zanetti wrote:

Hi Alan,
<snip>
There seem to be two different things in this mail, both not related
to the original topic though...
yeah, fair point, I was rambling
For scopes fetching data from somewhere else than SAAS brands, well,
create one. The scope framework doesn't restrict the sources of the
content. For example there's a kodiscope in the store that allows
entering a URL in the scope's settings. That should work fine for
things where you don't have to authenticate. For things like owncloud,
the URL can be entered when setting up the account in Online Accounts.
I will have a look at the owncloud online account, these all seemed to be for SaaS single URL things last time I played with it, so that points me in the right direction for having another poke about with authenticating scopes against Free Software content sources. Yay.

About synergy, I assume you're mostly talking about syncing content
between your devices? For example if you take a picture on your phone,
that it shows up in the gallery app on your desktop too
yes, but not just syncing of content, more a theme of generally working well together. It is something I have always wanted in Ubuntu. I would like it if on first boot of the phone or desktop it just said "where is my Ubuntu Server" and you give it the URL of your server and then everything works. User accounts sync, content syncs, emails work and your Asterisk PBX links with the SIP client on the phone. Kind of like Chromebooks do against google.com, but it would do it against your Ubuntu Server as the back end.

? I agree this
sort of thing would be great but it's really not a trivial problem to
solve. Either you sync everything to a cloud storage (which I'm sure
you don't want, given you're talking about ownCloud) or it can't be
set up easily by the user. If you're ok with doing some manual setup,
you should be able to set up some owncloud syncing already now. I
agree the setup for this kind of stuff needs to become easier, but
we'll get there.

Br,
Michael

Alan.