Re: System and Process monitoring

On 08/06/15 13:28, sturmflut wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am currently working on an article about monitoring system and process
> activity on the device. I want to restrict it to possibilities that the
> device offers "out of the box", so anybody can follow without having to
> modify the core system.
>
> So far I found the following "obvious" things:
>
> - ps
> - top
> - vmstat
> - ss
> - netstat
> - strace
> - ltrace
>
> Plus the following "not so obvious" things:
>
> - /proc
> - /sys
> - ftrace (quite limited on the phone, but may be usable)
>

> I would like to ask all of you if you know of more tools, which tools
> you use most often, which parameters (e.g. for ps) you usually append
> and which interesting problem you've maybe solved using one of these tools.
>
> kind regards,
> Simon

How about:

powerstat [1], eventstat [2], forkstat [3], smemstat [4], fnotifystat
[5], health-check [6], cpustat [7], suspend-blocker [8]

The documentation referenced below (and the man pages) should give some
idea of the tool capabilities.

Most of these were developed to monitor and debug excessive resource
usage for the the phone work.  Most are in universe, and some are still
in my PPA:  ppa:colin-king/white