Off-topic: why not top-post?

Hi everybody,

one of today's emails made wonder once more why most people on this list
seem to be against top-posting as this is the way I have learnt to
reply. It might not be taught that way everywhere in Germany, but at
least where I grew up.

What exactly is "wrong" with top-posting? If not top-posting, emails
with several levels of replies in them can get very lengthy and the new
information can be difficult to find especially if the reply is in-line.
I also don't think the assumption holds that people who top-post do not
carefully read what they reply to as I, for one, always do.

I am not criticizing, just very curious.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any reply or link,
orsten

Follow ups