Re: Off-topic: why not top-post?

Hello Torsten!

This is a topic which often causes a lot of heated debate on every
mailing list I'm on when it comes up. I do hope we can keep this
thread civil! :)

On 14 June 2015 at 21:11, Torsten Sachse <torsten.sachse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> one of today's emails made wonder once more why most people on this list
> seem to be against top-posting as this is the way I have learnt to
> reply. It might not be taught that way everywhere in Germany, but at
> least where I grew up.

See "Technical Guidelines" at
http://community.ubuntu.com/contribute/support/mailinglists/

It details the recommend way to conduct email threads on Ubuntu lists.

> What exactly is "wrong" with top-posting? If not top-posting, emails
> with several levels of replies in them can get very lengthy and the new
> information can be difficult to find especially if the reply is in-line.
> I also don't think the assumption holds that people who top-post do not
> carefully read what they reply to as I, for one, always do.

In general many people use top posting in small-lists or conversations
between two people because both parties know the context.

For a list such as this one where there are hundreds or thousands of
participants, that doesn't work so well for many reasons. This has
been discussed countless times on many lists, and I'd encourage you to
do some research on this topic, because frankly having seen the
discussion happen a hundred times on a hundred lists, it's getting
kinda old now :)

Throw "why bottom posting" at any search engine and you'll see many opinions.

Do the same for "why top posting" and you'll get more.

:)

Alan Pope
Community Manager

Canonical - Product Strategy