Re: Developer support

On 18/06/2015 09:14, Daniel Wood wrote:
> I would like to thank you all for your replies. Its very kind of you
> to take the time to reply.
>
> Nicholas
> I will upgrade my machine to Vivid to see if that helps. I assumed
> that 14.10 would be ok as all the
> documentation states 14.04 onwards.
>
> https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/start/ubuntu-sdk/installing-the-sdk/
> https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/apps/qml/tutorials/building-your-first-qml-app/
>
> I have read the introduction tutorials and followed them. I have
> written a number of apps that are almost complete
>
> The frustration stems from trying to read the Ubuntu SDK
> documentation, where many links are dead and the examples incomplete
> or not working.
>
> When laying out UI elements I normally follow the Qt documentation:
>
> http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtquick-positioning-topic.html
>
> Is there anything similar for Ubuntu?
>
> I get a number of errors when using components such as column and row.
> Its seems you can't use anchors with these
> component and not all Ubuntu components can be placed in a row container.
>
> My specific problem that caused my most recent meltdown was trying to
> position a Label and Textfield in a Row below a OptionSelector that
> expands.
>
> OptionSelector {}
> Row{
> Label{}
> TextField{}
> }
>
> I get errors about using anchors if I use column and row. without
> anchors everything is at the topleft or the label and textfield appear
> above the optionselector.
> The option selector doesn't seem to work when placed in a row.
>
> *David*
> The issues I have with the SDK are as follows:
>
> - No Component Images. I don't understand what the UI components are
> from the description alone and i have to use the UIToolkit Gallery to
> workout which components I want. The UIToolKit gallery seems outdated.
> - SDK Links. There are alot of broken links in the documentation some
> that link to an ubuntu page asking the user to file a bug report. some
> link to a 404 on the Qt site.
> - Examples. A number of the example don't work or are incomplete. The
> imports seem to be different to my system. QtQuick 2.4 and
> ubuntu.component 1.2 don't exist, I have updated the SDK.
> - Search function is very limited. Unless you know what you are
> looking for its very difficult to use the search. When searching in
> the 15.04 components some 14.10 information was returned in the
> search. 'Apps QML SDK 15.04' was listed at the top of the results but
> the link went to some 14.10 components.
>
> I understand that I 'just' need to file a bug report for these things
> but when I am trying to work on an app in the hour or so that I have
> free in an evening spending 10 mins filing bugs is very disruptive and
> [...]
Thanks Daniel,

I'm aware of the dead links issue and I'm collecting them for a big
fixing campaign, which needs a bit of planning since it also has to
happen in components documentation, directly in project branches we
auto-import daily on the site.

Regarding empty pages in the QML tutorials section, this is a recent and
temporary annoyance. These tutorials exist in the chinese version of the
site (/zh-cn/ instead of /en/ namespace) and to workaround a breaking
CMS bug, we have to display their /en/ counterpart as well. AFAIR, the
fix for that will land in the next deployment.

For anything else, please file bugs, we do look at them.

David