Re: Getting cpuinfo hardware field via API

Hi Michi,

On 24.06.2015 07:08, Michi Henning wrote:
> Specifically, we are having major grief with gstreamer. On a Nexus 4, we can run two processes side by side that each use a single gstreamer pipeline (at least most of the time). On a BQ, we can run only one, otherwise, things crash, hang, silently deliver the wrong information without an error, etc.

This sounds very bad and should be investigated, we can't rely on device
detection code in every app. CPU detection will also already fail right
now because

- the Aquaris E4.5 (krillin) and the Aquaris E5 (vegetahd) share the
same SoC

- devices with the same SoC use different device enablement packages

- gstreamer relies on hardware acceleration that is provided by Android
blobs in the device enablement package

So you could easily end up with having to work around an issue on
krillin, which is at the same time not present on vegetahd, and two
months later you have to update all your workarounds because all phones
got an update in the meantime.

(Not to mention that you will not be able to ship all the correct
workarounds for all devices, at the end of this year there will likely
already be five different devices on the market.)

So if you want to ship your app right now, you obviously have to add a
workaround for krillin, but in the long term there will be no way around
filing all those issues against ubuntu-system-image and/or gstreamer.

cheers,
Simon