Identifying image versions easily

Hi folks

I am currently working on a design to fix these two bugs:

"System settings version information lacks indication of writeable
image" <http://launchpad.net/bugs/1466021>

"The system-image based phone does not display a channel in its
version UI" <http://launchpad.net/bugs/1385339>

As part of this, I would like to find a single, short, pronouncable
token that can appear on the main "About This Phone" screen, which
provides the most useful information to tech support (and also bug
triagers).

There seem to be eight things involved in distinguishing an image. I
want to understand which of these depend on which of the others, for
example which of them reset when one of the others changes.

1.  Ubuntu release, for example "Ubuntu 15.04"

2.  Channel, for example "ubuntu-touch/stable/bq-aquaris.en"

3.  Build number, for example "51"

    *   I understand that a problem with the current "Ubuntu 15.04 r51"
        summary is that each channel has its own series of builds. Is
        that correct?

    *   Do the build numbers ever reset to 1? For example, when
        the Ubuntu release changes?

4.  Device image part, for example "20150529-8e13c5f"

5.  Ubuntu image part, for example "20150629"

    *   Is the Ubuntu image part redundant with the channel + build
        number? That is, if someone told you the channel and build
        number, could you find out what the image part was?

6.  Customization image part, for example "1432879444"

    *   My sending this message will probably double the number of Web