Re: Identifying image versions easily

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 07:45:14PM +0100, John McAleely wrote:
> >> 3.  Build number, for example "51"
> >>
> >>     *   I understand that a problem with the current "Ubuntu 15.04 r51"
> >>         summary is that each channel has its own series of builds. Is
> >>         that correct?

> > Yes, I think each channel does have a separate series of build numbers.
> > Someone from the landing team can confirm, I think.

> In fact, as I recalled after hitting send, the build number is device
> specific, and so each device within a channel has its own series.

Correct.  It would be more accurate to call these "sequence numbers" rather
than "build numbers"; they're incremented whenever an image is published to
the channel, which for the public-facing channels is almost always a copy of
an image from a different channel - not rebuilding anything, but giving it a
new sequence number on the new channel.  And these sequence numbers can be
different for each device in the channel.

> >     *   Do the build numbers ever reset to 1? For example, when
> >         the Ubuntu release changes?

> I believe they can only be at '1' in a channel once.

When an alias channel is repointed from one target to another, the sequence
numbers will change.  But the number is unique with respect to the "real"
channel, so as long as the information displayed is the real channel - and
not an alias - then this suffices for identification.

Also, we've mostly eliminated the use of aliases at this point.

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 07:07:59PM +0100, John McAleely wrote:

> I believe the triple: "channel, build, device" uniquely identifies software
> served from a particular update server (of which there is only one today).

Yes.  There are two ways you can uniquely identify an image: "channel,
sequence #, device", or "ubuntu_part, device_part, custom_part".

The first is preferable, because using the second does *not* tell you for
certain which channel you're on (since images are copied from one channel to
another!), whereas if you have the first you can always look up the
identifiers for the individual parts (ubuntu, device, custom).

What's lacking is an easy way for support (etc.) to look up the mapping
between the two.  Up to now, I think it's been assumed that exposing all of
this information in the phone's About dialog is preferable than having an
external lookup table.  If that's not the case going forward, then we
probably need an easier way to look it up than by digging into the json
files on the system-image server.